Newlywed Checklist

Summer wedding season has arrived, and newlyweds can make their tax filing easier by doing a few things now. Your marital status as of December 31 determines your tax filing options for the entire year, but that’s not all newlyweds need to know.

Report a name change

If you or your spouse are changing a name, be sure report the change to the Social Security Administration. The name on your tax return must match what’s on file at the SSA. If it doesn’t, it could delay any tax refund. To update information, you should file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. It’s available on, by phone at 800-772-1213, or at a local SSA office.

Update address

Notify the United States Postal Service, employers and the IRS of any address change. To officially change your mailing address with the IRS, you must compete and submit Form 8822, Change of Address.

Check withholding

Newly married couples must give their employers a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate, within 10 days. If both you and your spouse work, you may move into a higher tax bracket or be affected by the additional Medicare tax.

Review filing status

Married people can choose to file their federal income taxes jointly or separately each year. While filing jointly is usually more beneficial, it’s best to figure the tax both ways to find out which makes the most sense. Remember that if you are married as of December 31, the law says that you are married for the whole year for tax purposes.

Beware of scams

Everyone should be aware of and avoid tax scams, but that goes double for newlyweds. The IRS will never contact a taxpayer using email, phone calls, social media or text messages. First contact generally comes in the mail. To find out if you owe money to the IRS, taxpayers can view their tax account. If you still have questions, contact our office and we would be happy to help.

This article carries no official authority, and its contents should not be acted upon without professional advice. For more information about this topic, please contact our office.